Folklore attributes Wheeling’s name to the rumble of wagon wheels bumping down the community’s dusty main road, but the village was actually named for Wheeling, West Virginia. The continuous stream of wag- ons did give rise to numerous eateries along Milwaukee Avenue, earning the area a nickname of “Restaurant Row,” a name it continued to carry into the 1990s.
Wheeling had formed a township government in 1850. When railroad workers and laborers began frequenting Wheeling’s saloons, often creating disturbances on the streets, local officials seeking the authority to maintain law and order opted to move for incorporation
Between 1950 and 1970 Wheeling grew from 916 to 14,746 residents. Manufacturing burgeoned during this period with the addition of 86-acre South Wheeling Industrial Park and the arrival of companies such as Acco International, makers of office supplies.
In 1984 Wheeling annexed the 131-acre Arlington Country Club. Along with its neighbor, the city of Prospect Heights, Wheeling purchased Palwaukee Airport from the Priester family in 1986. The Metra North Central Service opened service through the area in 1996 and built a station for commuters off Wheeling Road just south of Dundee. The population in 2000 was 34,496 21 percent of whom were Hispanic and 9 percent Asian.
Neighboring suburbanites and Chicagoans have continued to frequent restaurants along Milwaukee Avenue.
Encyclopedia of Chicago